Wednesday, April 29, 2009

More bad news!

I haven't been posting very much but its been a a busy month for me. Working on my garden and my flower beds and my Mom's flowers. But then we had another blow on saturday. My step-dad had to be rushed to the hospital. All of a sudden he couldn't walk and was losing control of bodily functions. They have done all kinds of tests, bloodwork and still have not really found the root of what is causing this to happen. The MRIs do not show signs of a stroke but something is going on with his blood. Plateletts are low, white count low. When the stand him up his blood pressure drops very low. They are now calling it Ataxia. I have read on the internet about it and he does have the symptoms but didn't seem like they come on that quickly.
So I don't think they know what is wrong with him. They wanted to send him to a nursing home in the town we live in but we want him to go to the rehab that he went to after his heart surgery this past summer. If we can't get him in the rehab then my brother is going to bring him home and take him to Physical Therapy. I don't know how that will work out as my stepbrother is not in the best of health either and to have Pop in this shape is going to be even harder on him. My Mom is taking it really hard too and I am pretty worried about her.
I wish I had a sister who would come and help us. Right now its just on my stepbrother and I to do it all. We have other brothers but they are busy with their own lives and can't come help us.

But we are trying to help Mom and Dad and are determined to not let them down.
I took off work yesterday and cleaned their house and took care of Mom. She was so worn out and I made her stay home and rest.
Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.
Much Love to you all!

xoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

9 comments:

Rosa said...

Bethy, let me know if I can help. You know I'll be out there in a NY minute if you need me. Hang in there. Keep the faith. And take care of yourself too. (Sometimes we forget) Love you. xo

Mary Bee said...

Ah Beth. I'm so sorry to hear this is happening. Ataxia can be pretty harsh. He looks like such a sweet man and I'm sure Lottie is entirely worried for her DH. Take care of yourself and get plenty of sleep to keep your energy up through all this.

Hugs

Mary Timme said...

Oh, Beth, this doesn't sound good. I'm back to praying for all of you.

Cat said...

So sorry to hear this, I wish I was closer, I'd come by and help.

Don't forget to look after yourself.

Jeanie said...

Oh, Beth, I'm so sorry this is happening -- you really have had quite the terrible year with every kind of thing under the sun, and I really hope this one can right itself soon.

I know what you mean about a sister -- I had neither brothers or sisters, and it's really tough. So, follow Rosie's advice and do try to take care of you, too. I wish I lived closer, but the prayers will travel across the miles.

jet1960 said...

Just wondering if they investigated whether any medication he was taking could be causing his symptoms. Had he started any new medications recently?

Sorry to hear he has been sick again. My prayers are with you all. I know how draining the worry and physical care can be on you, so please watch out for yourself as much as is possible. Sometimes easier said than done, I know.

Shopgirl said...

Try to rest when you can...I know you are trying to keep all the plates in the air....I will pray for you all.
Love, Mary

Janet said...

Oh Beth, here I've been all wrapped up in making art and I didn't know you were dealing with all this right now. I'm so sorry. I hope you're taking care of yourself along with all the other things you're doing. You need your strength. I'll be sending you lots of good thoughts. Wish I was there so I could help you....or at least give you a hug.

Carole Burant said...

Dearest Beth,

I'm so sorry to hear about your step-dad and what he's been going through! I know how hard it is to take care of parents when you're the only one doing it...I'm the only one who lives near my mom, my 4 brothers are scattered around and live too far to help. Please know that you are all in my prayers and hopefully they can soon diagnose him and treat him. Sending big hugs across the miles. xoxoxo